Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Oriental (Cabbage) Salad

I always have friends request or even ask if I'm making this ...

This is pretty good ... and easy to make. It can keep for a few days in fridge (I've had it up to 5 days and it was fine...noodles get soft, that's all).

Small head of cabbage (or you can use a bag of precut coleslaw)
8 green onions (or less if desired)
1/2 cup peanuts (have used cashews or whatevers on hand)
1/2 cup sesame seeds or almonds (can leave out if not on hand)
2 pkgs ramen noodles (save extra seasoning pack for other use - such as rice)
1/2 red pepper, chopped (optional, but does add more flavor)

Dressing (I add all to a jar & put a lid on to mix well)
4 tbs sugar (I try to use 3 tbs as I think it's too much)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup salad/veg oil
6 tbs rice vinegar
* if you want, you can use the ramen seasoning pkg, but I would eliminate the salt above *

Shred or chop cabbage, mix with chopped onions & pepper.

Toast sesame seeds/almonds (put in small pan, saute til they become fragrant, but not too long!!)

Add all dressing ingredients in jar/bowl, mix well

Just before serving, break up all noodles, add noodles, sesame/almonds, peanuts to cabbage mixture. Pour dressing over top & mix well - serve

No comments: