Saturday, September 5, 2009

Soup - need a name

I have no room in my freezers ... none whatsoever. 3 freezers, jammed pack of stuff. To the point where I can't find what I know I have in one of them somewhere. So late this afternoon, I pulled out the bottom drawer of the main freezer and took out the following:

1 lb polish kielbasi
10 oz bag of broccoli florets
ziploc of chopped carrots
small ziploc of chopped red/purple onion
small ziploc of roasted turkey breast (something I've been looking for!)

I have NO chicken broth left in this house. Well, I take that back, I have the white wine stuff and the thai coconut stuff (which has almost 100% of your daily sodium level in ONE serving). So had to root around and find the chicken bouillon cubes. Thankfully I found them.

Poured 8 cups of water in large pot. Sliced sausage. Dumped everything else and 4 cubes of chicken bouillon in the pot. Season with black pepper and whatever else makes you happy. I just left it with the pepper. Cover, turn on medium low & let it sit & simmer for however long you feel is good. I did 1 1/2 hours.

Then I added one cup of white rice. Came back to check on it in 30 minutes and WHOA ... the rice soaked most of the liquid up. Turn off, let cool for a little (I didn't' and burned the heck out of my tongue!) Top with Parmesan cheese and chopped green onions if desired. Either way was yummy.

Not bad as a spur of the moment, totally irrational moment of make some room QUICK in the freezer.

I think as the leftovers, it will be a little more thicker than I'd like so maybe add some more broth if needed. I don't think I would use water.

1 comment:

Donna said...

How about Rainbow Stew?
Sounds like some pretty colors!
-and yummy!

Sometimes accidents make the best dishes!