Sunday, July 5, 2009

Taco Salad

It's kinda stupid, but you know, for a while there, I just could not get the hang of doing a taco salad. What the heck was up with that? Now, whenever I make tacos for hubby & sonny boy, I make mine a salad as I prefer it more ....


Ground meat (I've used chicken which was awesome, but most use beef or turkey!)
taco seasoning of choice (have not found a homemade that I prefer yet, still looking)

Of course, cook meat, breaking into smaller pieces as you go. OR you can do like I do 70% of the time and toss the cooked meat in the food processor & give it a whirl. Careful though, otherwise it can turn to paste.

Add taco seasoning & continue cooking per package (or recipe) instructions.

Shred lettuce (I'm assuming you washed it already, right??). Iceburg is the norm. Just cut in half and slice thin. Toss all in bowl. Dice some onions and tomatoes up, toss each in their bowl.

Shred some cheese (or think, CRAP I forgot to take the bag of shredded stuff out of freezer this morning!!). Get out the sour cream, black olives (if desired), tortilla chips (break them up into fairly bite size pieces) ... and beans. Any kind of beans. I prefer black beans. Rinse & drain the can well.

Now get yourself a plate (that you will eat off of), lay a layer of lettuce. Add some taco meat, top with cheese, tomatoes, onions. Top that with some cheese and sour cream. Add the tortilla chips around the edges. Add the beans around the edges (or under the meat if you want to incorporate all together to hide. Add whatever else you like, such as hot sauce, olives, etc.

You can always take the short cut and just use salsa instead of the tomatoes & onions.

My secret (for me) is to mix it up a little on the plate and try to get a little of the 'wet' stuff, like tomatoes, sour cream whatever in each bite.

No comments: