Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Protein Bars

I got this recipe over at Carmen's site and I tweaked it a little. The original recipe called for strawberry protein powder. I only buy vanilla as I think it’s much more universal, however, I may change my mind now. AND think of the endless possibilities with the flavors!

1 4serving box instant cheesecake pudding mix (or whatever flavor you want/have)
1 cup oats (I only buy the old fashioned ones)
2 tbs peanut butter
1 ¾ cup whey protein (6 scoops) (I kind of free measured this with 1 cup & eyed the 2nd cup, will cut down a little next time)
2/3 to ¾ cup skim milk, as needed. Ok, I used reconstituted powdered non fat milk.
Wheat bran

Mix all powder ingredients. Cut in peanut butter. Add milk til you have a real sticky mess in bowl, all is mixed into a glob and you can barely stir anymore (good workout!!). The stickier the better as this will keep the bars from getting crumbly.

Line a 6 x 6 (huh? I only have 8x8) pan with wax paper. Spray wax paper with nonstick spray. Dump glob into middle of pan & use another sheet of wax (sprayed) to mush & level out in pan. Cover top with wheat germ to cover all sticky areas. Place in fridge for 30 minutes (I did mine overnight).

Pull out of pan using sides of wax paper & flip over into pan. Top this side with wheat germ til no longer sticky. Don’t worry about excess wheat germ, you’ll use it up in the pan. Cut into 12 bars, coating cut sides with wheat germ in bottom of pan. Wrap each individually in wax paper & keep in fridge.

You know, these weren’t so bad. I can see lots of possibilities here. I had one for breakfast, and they are pretty filling, that small bar. So…will definitely look into some other flavors of pudding to do.

No comments: