Monday, June 29, 2009

Garden Bean Soup (SouthBeach)

Over the weekend, I went to the 'beach reading room' to pick up sonny boys required summer reading book that finally came in. Of course, I had to browse and came across the The Taste of Summer South Beach cook book.

Here's what I made on Sunday night (while I waited for my hair to color) for lunch on Monday.

Garden White Bean Soup

1 tbs plus 2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced or diced (I diced)
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 celery stalk, sliced thin
pinch of red pepper flakes (should have added more)
2 cans northern or cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 1/2 cups chopped arugula
1/4 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest (I used a whole lemon)
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbs fresh grate parmesean

Heat 1 tbs oil & saute onion, garlic, celery & pepper flakes til soft (10 minutes or so). Add beans and broth, simmer 10 minutes.

In blender/food processor, add remaining ingredients except the cheese. Strain soup to large bowl and add bean mixture to blender. Add 1 cup of liquid to blender/food processor. Process til smooth. Add back to reserve liquid.

Divide among 4 bowls and top each with fresh parmesean. (serve warm)

No comments: