Saturday, May 16, 2009

Broccoli, cheese & ham soup

Ok, I'll be honest. I am not a big veggie person. I actually hate broccoli and that stuff. Trees, I tell you, they are trees and shrubby things.

Regardless, at the ripe ole age of 45, I am trying to expand my food horizons, eat healthier & such. Ha. It's been fun.

5 cups broccoli bits & pieces, florets, whatever you have. More or less
6 cups reduced sodium chix broth, or you can do that boullion stuff
1 1/2 cups milk. Or 1/2 and 1/2. OR I suppose you could use the powdered milk & water
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs flour
2 to 3 cups cheese
cooked ham, diced

Steam the heck out of the broccoli. Once super tender (or, as I say, totally cooked), chop, dice as small as you like it to be in your soup.

In a large saucepan, add broth & milk. Turn heat on med to med high & slowly whisk in flour. OR take the easy way out like me: add all flour to a jar with a tight fitting lid. Add a bit of the liquid and shake that bad boy til combined and all flour is disolved. Add to pan and stir. Continue on:
Cook til starts to thicken, but not to thick. Stir frequently (or if doing the old fashion way, keep whisking, for say, the next hour).
Add broccoli & ham. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in cheese til melted. Serve it up.

*I made this and a green salad & did a whack a can italian bread loaf at 8pm on Friday. Not so bad for a last minute dinner idea.

No comments: