Monday, May 31, 2010

Ham & Swiss Cheese Quiche

I made this on Monday afternoon for breakfast on Tuesday since I knew that I had to have my stuff together to do this low carb stuff. You know how that goes!

The original recipe is here but this is how I made it:

1 cup diced ham (I used half of a ham steak from freezer)
4 wedges of the laughing cow swiss cheese (spreadable, low fat stuff)
Diced red onions, eyeballed it til I thought there was plenty (1/2 of a thick wedge slice)
3 eggs
1 cup of cream (is whipping cream the SAME? That's what it is!)
Black pepper

Spray a pie tin/plate with Pam or other non stick spray, generously.
layer the red onion, ham and cheese in pan. I had to break up the cheese, it has a consistency like cream cheese
Mix eggs and cream with a whisk to break up the eggs. Pour egg/cream over the stuff in pie plate. Make sure that you cover all fairly evenly.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Walk around the house while it cooks and say "Ummm, that smells delicious!" because it does! Then say out loud, low carb yumminess is on it's way!

Do a knife test and make sure center is no longer jiggly (oops, I had giggly there). I "thought" mine was completely set until it cooled and I went to slice it. It's sitting in the oven again for a few more minutes.

If you can believe this, it makes 6 servings AND each serving only has 2.5 to 3 grams of carbs. Woohoo!

I do need to scope out my pie tins though. This is one of my heavier, nicer ones, but I think it's smaller...which was OK for this recipe, but I think some of the other recipes I have, I would run the risk of it overflowing. I did bake this with a heavy duty baking sheet underneath as it was that close to the top.

Picture? You want a picture?? Princess took my camera on Saturday night to a party. The battery died and I'm still waiting to get both the camera and a charged battery back. Ho hum.

No comments: